Boomeranger has once again successfully delivered - on schedule - a completely new model for a demanding customer. The two Boomeranger RIB A-950 boats for the PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG Propulsion Team completed successfully sea trials end of June. “The boat is even faster than we estimated…0 to 48 knots in 12 seconds and a top speed of well over 50 knots!” rejoices Jussi Mannerberg, the MD of Boomeranger who has been leading the development of the new model with the very competent Boomeranger inhouse design team. Christian Lindquist from BERG Propulsion is equally satisfied: “It’s always nice when a project fits right in hand on the recipient.”
The first boat is currently in Lanzarote, Spain where the PUMA Team is training for the Volvo Ocean Race starting in October in Alicante, Spain. Kimo Worthington, General Manager of the Puma Team, is very pleased with the performance of the boat: “We took the tender out for its first real run today and it worked perfect! Chasing a Volvo 70 in BIG waves is not a easy task but the boat is dry and fast!”.
The second boat is near Gothenburg, Sweden waiting to be shipped to Cape Town for the start of Leg 2 in December. Peter Hällström, MD of Buffers Marine who guided BERG Propulsion to select Boomeranger for the project, has been test driving the boat in the Gothenburg archipelago with several Nordic authority customers, “The boat is definitely the best one Boomeranger has yet produced in this size. We were driving 40 knots in choppy waves of 2 to 3 meter without difficulty. The boat behaves logically and responds to throttle and wheel perfectly!”.
Details of the boat:
• New 9,5 m aluminum hull
• Some advantages of the new hull design: very easy to maneuver, excellent grip, stability and the trim is very good, the nose of the boat hardly raises when accelerating from still stand, 0 to 48 knots in 12 seconds, excellent driving characteristics in speed range of 30 to 40 knots without negative effects in other speed areas.
• 2 x 300 hp Yamaha V6 outboard engines
• Fits into a standard 40” container with empty tubes
• Delivered to Puma with 40” containers with a trailer system
• Launch from container to sea 1 hour or less with a trained crew
• Boat has been designed in co-operation with Airborne Systems to be compatible with MCADS air-drop platform (http://www.airborne-sys.com/pages/view/mcads)
• Beam over all 3 meters
• Hull can be delivered in range of 8,5 to 9,5 m
Please find attached pictures of the boat and the container system.
Puma VOR Team pages:http://www.pumaoceanracing.com http://www.facebook.com/PumaOceanRacing
BEGR Propulsion, http://www.bergpropulsion.com
Boomeranger Boats is Finnish company specialized in design and manufacturing of heavy duty rigid inflatable boats for the professional market. Boomeranger RIBs are designed and built for use in the harshest marine environments and meet the demanding requirements of military and defence clients. All boats are delivered to defence clients, authorities, well-known civil organizations or selected companies. Customers include the German Navy, the Royal Norwegian Navy, the Royal Swedish Navy, Irish Customs, Guardia Civil from Spain, Finish Lifeboat Society, Coast Guards, Fire Departments, Police Forces and many more.
For more information please contact:
Boomeranger Boats is the leading RIB-manufacturer for authority customers in Northern Europe. Boomeranger Boats is part of Revenio Group Corporation (NASDAQ OMX Helsinki REG1V).